Onboarding participants well and getting them comfortable in using a new tool can help you run smoother sessions.
Here are some tips to getting this right:
- Send participants the How to Butter Participant Guide so they know how to get set up right.
- We'd recommend joining through laptop/PC. You can do it from the desktop app or through your browser (Chrome works best!).
- If people are joining on the go, ask them to download the mobile app ahead of time.
- Check if Butter has permission to access your mic and camera. You can test it before the session even starts here or through the “Test” function on the bottom-right part of your waiting room.
- Use headphones to avoid unwanted echoes during the session.
- Avoid having “heavy” programs on that take up bandwidth or CPU performance. (e.g. torrents, video streaming, etc)
- If you’re planning to use Miro or Google Drive, remember that having third-party cookies blocked on the browser (via adblockers) or having incognito mode on will cause Miro/Google Drive to not work on Butter. We suggest turning both off before the session!
- Once you’re in the session, you can also use the Intro to Butter flashcards so they’ll understand how to use the tool and engage better with you!